The My Weird School series is always a popular one with my 4th graders so I jumped at the chance to see what author Dan Gutman had to say about writing. I mean, I can use all the help I can get to get my kiddos to write, so why not enlist the help of one of their favorite authors, right?
Needless to say, My Weird Writing Tips does not disappoint! It is written in the same humorous and engaging manner as the series. My students are sure to connect with this author's message. (You know how it goes...you can talk for days on end about why we need to write using paragraphs, but the instant somebody famous says it, all of a sudden the students are all ears...)
From reading this book, students will learn...
* How to keep a writer's notebook. Ideas are everywhere!
* Tips for writing a story (with my favorite lesson...the title should come LAST, not first!)
* Why revising is the most important part of writing.
* Why you need to break up your writing with paragraphs and periods. (Amen!!)
* Grammar tips from parts of speech to homophones to when to use can vs. may
I also love all of the little cartoons with writing inspirations that are included. (Although I'm sure these are mostly for the teachers, not the students.)
I am considering making this book one of my early read alouds, as I am introducing Writer's Workshop. (And know that I did not receive any compensation for this review...I just love this book and wanted to share this resource with you!! :v)
What other mentor texts about teaching writing have you found? I'd love to hear from you!