Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Peek at My Week -- A New Linky Party

Linky parties are such a great way to meet and connect with other bloggers.  I have met some wonderful people (yes, you!) and found some awesome blogs by participating in linky parties.  Over the summer, it seemed like I was linking up with at least one (sometimes more!) a day.

I hope you will consider joining my new linky party, A Peek at My Week.

A Peek at My Week is a great way to look forward at your week ahead and share some things you've got planned -- either at school or at your other home (you know...where your clothes live! :-)  This way, if a reader is looking for ideas or is doing the same thing you are, there will be a connection.  And isn't that what blogging is about...connecting?

So here's my button.  A HUGE thank you to Erin at I'm Loving Lit and Krista at Creative Clips for allowing me to use their background and clip art.  The fonts are from Kimberly Geswein Fonts that I purchased licenses to use during the Back to School Sale at TpT.  So fun!!

I hope you will read my post then link up!
So here's a peek at my upcoming week...
 
I go back to work on Tuesday.  (I know I really can't complain about that because so many of you have been back for WEEKS now!)  This week is professional development, meetings and getting my room ready.  I'm lucky because I've been teaching Jump Start summer school for the past week and a half so my room is mostly set -- which means I will have lots of time for planning.
I'm looking forward to hearing Damen Lopez of Turn Around Schools as our guest speaker on Wednesday. 
 
Have you heard of his "No Excuses University" program?  It's all about creating a culture of universal achievement by believing that all students should have the opportunity to be educated in a way that prepares them for college.  Classrooms "adopt" classroom colleges, talk about college and develop a belief that all students can achieve.  It's a great program!
Because so many of you are already back, I was hoping you could help me with this one...
 
I will be planning my first week.  If you are already back, I was hoping you could share the ONE thing that you did that you ABSOLUTELY would do again.  I've got a stash of fun ideas, but I'm always looking for more!  Please leave your suggestions in the comments section so all can enjoy!

 
 So I hope you will give us a Peek at Your Week and link up below!  Have a great week!
 

14 comments:

  1. You're going to love Damen Lopez! I saw him a few years back and I walked out of his presentation motivated to help my students succeed with college. I hope that you enjoy his presentation this week! :)

    Amy
    Turtley Loving Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! My yard is calling me, and I need to get out there before the temperature hits unbearable. I will link up this afternoon while I am planning my week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great linky idea!

    Here's one back to school thing I love doing: I have them write about their summer, pair-share to edit/revise (I told them this was the writing process speed round), and do a final draft with a picture. This coming week, they'll share them. They love it, it's a get-to-know-you, and my writing pre-assessment!

    -Dani
    A Place to Thrive 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this linky idea! I'll definitely be linking up next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, what a terrific idea for a linky! Love it, and will participate as often as I can! : )

    Secondly, I really, really, really like the idea of getting kids excited for college NOW. It's so important to plant that seed early and let it sprout. Some parents don't do that, so I think it's so great that teachers and schools are focusing on going to college. Have a great week!

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm located in McHenry and teach in Crystal Lake. I'm 20 minutes from the Wisconsin border and seemed to find myself heading up there frequently. Small world! :)

    Amy
    Turtley Loving Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great link up! I am going to go check out Damen Lopez and his "No Excuses University".

    The first day of school, I have the kids do a Ten (or Five) Things You Need to Know About Me activity. We have to brainstorm a bit first about what makes each of us unique and then they make their personal lists. When all are done, we do a milling to music activity and they have the opportunity to share with their new classmates. It's a great getting to know you activity. I save their lists and put them in a book for them to look at again during the year.

    Lori

    Life in Room 24

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for hosting this linky. It's such a fun idea. This year I tried JoAnn's Important Book Acitvity during the first week of school. My kids loved it, and so did I!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. That No Excuses University sounds so inspirational! I can't wait to hear how it goes on Wednesday! This is a fun linky! Thanks for inviting me! :O)
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea for this linky party and I'll be back to link up (hopefully) next week. I hope you have a great start to your school year this week. I really love knowing that all the room "stuff" is done and I have some big blocks of planning time before school starts.

    Like Lori, the best thing I did for B2S was have kids write their Top 10 Things About Me. It was certainly different than what I'd done in the past - a premade worksheet/form with questions for kids to fill out. I like that they got to decide what was important and I was amazed at how much I was able to learn about them in such a short time!

    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Thanks for hosting :)
    ~ Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  12. That guest speaker sounds amazing! This is a great idea for a linky party, Jennifer! Thank you for hosting:)
    Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's 11:20 on Sunday night and I'm just now reading blogs for today. I feel like I'm late, late for a very important date. I will definitely be linking up next week to your new linky. I've been enjoying seein' everyone's posts for it pop up in my Bloglovin' feed. I'm going to have to go with Jivey's "Save Fred" activity that she shared during her first week of school. SO MUCH FUN and very inexpensive. http://ideasbyjivey.blogspot.com/2013/08/five-for-friday-first-week-back-to.html
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time for stopping by! I would love it if you would leave me a comment to let me know that you were here. (Please make sure that you are not a "No Reply Blogger" so that I can email you back.)