Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Workshop Wednesday -- Moby Math!




Thanks to Jivey at Ideas by Jivey for hosting the Workshop Wednesday linky party!  There are some fabulous resources that have already been shared and I've wanted to post about one of my favorite math finds so this is a great opportunity!

I began using the Moby Math website after Winter Break this year and wondered how I lived without it.  It was found by one of our fabulous third grade teachers as she was searching for math intervention resources. 

When students log in to Moby Math (yes, there is a subscription fee, but I think its pretty reasonable and there may even still be a free 30 day trial), they are given a benchmark placement test for all skills beginning in kindergarten.  Imagine my shock to see that some of my students were missing some kindergarten and first grade proficiency skills -- no wonder math was such a difficult time for them!



After taking the placement test, students are given computer guided instruction and practice in the skills that they need to master.  Even students who have mastered all skills up to their grade level continue to grow as they receive exposure to skills for future grades.  You can even assign the program to give students fact fluency practice before beginning their practice sessions -- a great way to keep those math facts sharp! 

While something like Moby Math would never replace quality, best practices instruction, it is helpful in that it is a different way for students to be exposed to math and it is differentiated to each student's needs.

What I also love is that as the teacher, I can have as much or as little control over what my students are working on each day.  I can go into the program and move their practice sessions around, assign extra benchmark tests, or reassign a practice session if the student didn't do so well on it the first time.  For my students who struggle in math, I check their data pretty regularly to make sure the program is truly helping them.  For my students who do well, I may just check on their data weekly.  That way, it is not overwhelming for me and still provides the maximum benefit to the kids!

I have made Moby Math a part of my math workshop so students work on it for about 20 minutes in class, and then I assign 15 minutes to be done at home every night.  The kids love it because they can see their progress and I've also received very positive parent feedback.

Be sure to visit Jivey to find out about other great Workshop Wednesday finds!  Let me know what you think of Moby Math if you check it out!

6 comments:

  1. This is great! I've heard of Moby Math before! Will def try it!! :) thanks for linking up!
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to check this website out! I'm your newest follower!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of it, but am pinning it for future use in case I teach math next year. Might possibly be teaching 6th all subjects. :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Jennifer,

    Thanks so much for blogging about us! Your comments are so thoughtful and thorough. If you have any recommendations or feedback for us, please feel free to write support@mobymax.com, or just call 888-793-8331. We'd love to hear from you!

    -Katie at Mobymax

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOODNES! I love Moby Max. I use it with my 6th graders, 7th graders and students I tutor! LIFE SAVER. They love the comments, and LOVE to text me. I love the lessons, the assessment, and the alignment to standards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We started using it in December. I absolutely without a doubt LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time for stopping by! I would love it if you would leave me a comment to let me know that you were here. (Please make sure that you are not a "No Reply Blogger" so that I can email you back.)