Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Workshop Wednesday -- Card Games Galore!

It's Wednesday which means its time to link up with Ideas by Jivey for her Workshop Wednesday!  This week's topic.....math card games.



By far, my favorite resource for math card games is this book from Scholastic:



One of the things I love the most is that it contains games for upper elementary students for a variety of math topics -- fractions, multiplication, percent, probability, algebra, decimals and more!

Take, for instance, this card game called "Your Average Card" in which students use mental math to find the average of four cards.  To play, each player receives four cards (jokers and face cards removed).  The players find the average of their four cards and round their average to the nearest whole number.  Each player earns that number (the average) of points for that round.  The first player to 50 points wins the game.

Simple, yet fun!  I love games that promote mental math!! :)

I hope you will head on over to Ideas by Jivey for more math card game ideas.  But in the mean time, why not leave me a comment to let me know how you use games in math to promote learning? 

Have a great rest of your week!



4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this book! Might have to go buy it! Thanks for linking up. :)
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you highlighted this book, I have some money to spend on resources and was looking for some new books - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this book either! Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ordered the book! What an awesome resource and it was only $8!!

    Tina
    Crofts' Classroom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time for stopping by! I would love it if you would leave me a comment to let me know that you were here. (Please make sure that you are not a "No Reply Blogger" so that I can email you back.)