Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The One Word Project in Action

Jamie at Teaching Tidbits and More just dropped me an email to share how she has used the One Word Project with her 2nd graders -- and I was glad she did!
Jamie's post shares how she adapted this writing project for the younger grades.  From reading the students' writing, I can see that she used a frame for writing to help guide her students.  I love that idea!  I hope you will visit Jamie's blog and read more! She does a great job explaining everything she did with her young writers.  Check out this young writer's work...

My 4th graders began their One Word Project today (remember....we've had two snow days this week so we're a little bit behind) and I am really impressed with their thoughtfulness about choosing their word.  I will share their work as soon as we are finished!

If you want to learn more about this writing project and how you can do it with your students, you can read my original post here.  

Here is the video I made to share with students to introduce the project.
I also found a blog post from Jon Gordon, author of One Word That Will Change Your Life, in which he explains the concept behind choosing your One Word on the Today Show on New Year's Day.  (You can find it here.)

 I love sharing writing projects and appreciate those of you who share how you adapt them to meet the needs of your students.  If you have done this project with your class, let me know!  I'd love to hear how it turned out! 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome project for kids to do and what a great idea to show your video to get them thinking about the possibilities! We just finished our "Hopes and Dreams" and I wish I would have done something like this along with it!

    Kate :)
    McDee's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man I love love love!!! this idea! Note to self - remember this when planning first week activities!
    Erin
    Learning to be awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't WAIT to start this with my 3rd graders! I'm also super excited we're doing this as a staff. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. I'm excited to see how our classrooms come up with similar or different words to pick for themselves!
    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time for stopping by! I would love it if you would leave me a comment to let me know that you were here. (Please make sure that you are not a "No Reply Blogger" so that I can email you back.)