Sunday, May 4, 2014

A Peek at My Week {5-04-14}

I hope you are having a great Sunday!  Thank you for stopping by for my weekly linky party, A Peek at My Week.  I would love it if you would link up to share your plans for this upcoming week.
I have lots, lots, lots going on this week, both at school and at home.

My son is scheduled to take his driving test this Thursday to get his driver's license.  This is really scary stuff for a mom!  If you have already been though this, I would love some tips on how to survive handing your child the keys to a car and letting them go out on their own.  It's a good thing Thursday is Positive Thinking Thursday...prayers would be appreciated!  :)
As you know, this week is also Teacher Appreciation Week.  I want to take a quick moment to thank YOU for all that you do not only for your students, but also for us fellow teachers.  One of the wonderful benefits of being involved with a blog is the wonderful friendships that begin online.  I KNOW I am a better teacher because of YOU!  Thank you for reading and sharing your ideas and comments -- always!  As for our students, they may not always say it, but they really do know and feel the difference you make in their lives every day.
teacher, quotes, sayings, hero, students, teaching
Last week, we began our study of mythology and my kids can't get enough of it.  They BEG me to do it every day.  (Seriously....thank you Percy Jackson!)  We are using my Mythology Museum & More product and are working on researching for our museum displays.
This week, we will also continue to read and illustrate different myths.  As I read a myth out loud, the students listen, then they have to draw an illustration to capture the message of the myth.  This is a good time to read different versions of the same myth too.  Last week, we read two different versions of Pandora's Box.  One version left hope in the box and one let it out with the other evils.  What a great discussion we had about that!

In writing this week, we are continuing to work on Opinion Writing.  My students have really struggled with adding examples to their details. They think that just because they say something, it has to be true.  (Kind of like the Internet, right???)  So I  came up with this very easy Compliments for Classmates writing activity:

  1. I gave them the name of someone else in the class.
  2. They had to write three strengths or talents of that person.
  3. They had to give two examples for each strength.
  4. Put it all together into a paragraph with an interesting grabber.

Add an illustration and you've got a cute hallway display!

Finally, have you heard about the big SALE at Teachers Pay Teachers on May 6-7 (Tuesday & Wednesday)?  My whole store will be on sale for 28% off with the code TPTXO!
TPT Sales Banner May 2014 Teacher Appreciation Sale
This would be a great time to pick up some of my most popular products!
Great for Common Core vocabulary work with prefixes and suffixes!
Teach the skill of research before assigning research and your life will be so much easier!
Timely & fun!  Your kids will love it!!
I've got my cart loaded up and waiting for Tuesday!

Just one more thing before I go....I don't know what is going on with Blogger, but it seems like a bunch of us have been changed back to "No Reply Blogger" status (myself included this week).  If you want to check to see if this has happened to you, you can read Jivey's post here.  Also, more and more, I'm seeing the "Prove You're Not a Robot" when I leave comments and I think that's something new for many of us that we thought we may have disabled.  To check and see if this is happening to your commenters, click on the down arrow next to your name in Blogger, click on Account Settings, then Security, and you can disable the 2-Step Verification (if you want).  

OK now...What does your week look like?



Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. With all the snow days we had this year we did not get to really dive into the Greek mythology :(
    As far as your son taking the road test this week my mom said the best strategy she had was going on a cruise the week I got mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea for opinion writing. It can be very difficult for students to come up with specific evidence to support their thinking. Good luck with the driving. I just saw a student who I knew as a third grader practicing maneuvering around cones in our school parking lot last weekend. Wow! Time flies!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your son driving! I am a few years away still but the thought of it scares me to death! :) I guess WE will have to grow up, Mom! ;)
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending luck for the driver's test this week!!! I can't imagine what you are feeling as you begin this next stage in your son's life!!! :) Have a great week!
    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the opinion writing idea! I so wish my boys could focus on each others strengths - they are so mean to each other. I may try this but have them each list their own strengths instead...

    Good Luck to you and your son! So glad my boys are still too young for that! :)
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on dealing with your son's driving test! I know you and he will do great! Have an awesome week!
    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time for stopping by! I would love it if you would leave me a comment to let me know that you were here. (Please make sure that you are not a "No Reply Blogger" so that I can email you back.)