Sunday, May 12, 2013

Let's Get Acquainted -- Teacherhood

I hope you all enjoyed Teacher Appreciation Week and felt very appreciated!  I know I did!

I'm linking up with LaToya at Flying into First Grade for her Let's Get Acquainted linky party today.  I love this week's topic....It fits right in with Teacher Appreciation Week, I think.



We have three questions to answer this week...

Linky Questions

1.  What made you decide to become a teacher?

2. What has been your most rewarding experience as a teacher?

3. If you were not a teacher, what would you be?
 
What made me decide to become a teacher?  Like many of you, I was influenced by an amazing teacher that I had in elementary school.  I wanted to be just like her and knew that teaching was in my future!  I had Ms. Mullen-Teofilo for THREE straight years (3rd, 4th & 5th) and loved every minute of it!
 
What has been my most rewarding experience as a teacher?  I have only been teaching for five years, but I think the most rewarding experience is when I can reach a student who is seen as difficult or challenging and help them turn things around.  I seem to be drawn to the ones that give me the biggest challenge.  I pride myself on the relationships I build with my students and it is because of these relationships that I feel some of my more challenging students blossom.
 
If I was not a teacher, what would I be?  I would either be a writer (something else I love) or a quilt shop owner.  Before I went back to school to get my teaching degree, I was a stay-at-home mom for 10 years.  After my daughter was born in 1999, I began quilting and even toyed with the idea of opening my own shop.  (I told my husband that my fabric addiction was cheaper than therapy...).  Given the state of the economy over the past decade, I'm glad that I decided to follow my first passion and get that teaching certification!
 
Here's one of my latest quilts...
 

So how about you?  Why did you become a teacher and what would you be doing if you hadn't?  Head on over to Flying into First Grade and link up!

Wishing you an amazing week!


 

3 comments:

  1. I don't quilt but I love looking in quilting stores, I love the fabric! Since I don't actually buy anything I think you are right - teaching was the better choice. Love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful quilt!! My grandma used to make me quilts- I love them!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous quilt! Awesome job! Check out my new linky, I'd love to have you link up! :)

    Theresa
    Pinkadots Elementary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time for stopping by! I would love it if you would leave me a comment to let me know that you were here. (Please make sure that you are not a "No Reply Blogger" so that I can email you back.)